Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Baruchatah

I have no idea what this word means, but it is just so fun to sing in this show. Last night we had our first rehearsal in the theatre with a skeletal version of the set. I knew our space was going to be tighter, but I had no idea it would be this tight. I am not tinkerbell, I take up some space when I move on stage. I felt like I was in everyones way last night. Have you ever had the feeling like you just don't know where you are at any particular moment. Scott was trying to get something spaced onstage, and I could not for the life of me figure out where I was. Then there was no A/C last night, and it sounds like there won't be any tonight either. Well since Tinkerbell I am not, I was sweating like a TinkerBULL!!!! I hope they get some sort of A/C going cause I am scared to think what it will be like when we get our costumes on, and I have a feeling it won't be breathable material.

Well this show is proving to be the adventure I thought it would be when I got cast as Phil. Orgy's onstage, well as much of an orgy that you can do clothed, an incestuious relationship with my brother. I have never experienced any of these things. About the only thing that I feel comfortable doing that I have done in real life is drinking alcohol. I have never smoked a joint, so I have no idea how to do that onstage. So I have sort of been making it like Phil is like that also, he has friends that do it all the time, and this is the party that he gives into temptation and tries it. I guess that is why they call it the Wild Party.

Wow......it only gets better from here. TOnight we have a runthrough with Chris Peterson playing the piano. We are so used to Scotts tempos, and Scott being able to follow us, but now it is time Chris gets a run at this. This score is not easy either. I am glad that I am not playing the show, but it may be fun just to try to play some of these songs sometime.

Well it is almost time to go home before I go to rehearsal.

Til next time

Phil
Joel

2 comments:

Scott Miller said...

It's two words, "Baruch ata" and it means "Blessed are/is"... and I have no idea why you're singing it. :)

GoGo said...

It is the beginning of the prayer I sing every Friday night before I light the Shabbat candles. It begins a LOT of Hebrew prayers (Blessed are you...etc., etc., etc.). I can only imagine that it is Oscar and Phil's homage to Abraham being the father of Judaism--LOL!! I think it is FABULOUS that they didn't use something stereotypically Yiddish instead...my Kabbalah study group will simply LOVE that particular number--expect LOTS of laughs!

xoxo