Friday, April 9, 2010

Is there a doctor in the house!

OK next to the first time I did 42nd Street on the Goldenrod Showboat have I seen so many injuries in a show. Back in the day during our final dress rehearsal (The second run of the show that day, and I believe it was around 11:00 p.m.) we had two massive injuries during the running of We're in the Money. I was sitting offstage, because the stupid people in new york couldn't tell the difference between 38" waisted pants and 29" waisted pants. So no costume that matched the other boys so I learned the number for nothing. Well back to the story, about half way through THom Crain (our costumer for Wild Party) fell off the side of his dime that he danced on, and messed up his knee, and not even 5 seconds after we hear another thud, and one of the dancing girls fell off her dime. Well needless to say that put an end to that run. We just had to figure out how we would reblock these two out of parts of the show that they couldn't do.

Well a couple of weeks ago during a dance rehearsal, our male lead, Jeff, got hit in the nose while he was turing his partner during a dance number, and ended up with a bloody nose. It was a nasty bleeder, but he was OK. Then last night during the forced, rape-like sex scene in Act one Margeau, and Jeff, our two leads had a little accident. Jeff accidentally hit Margeau on the corner of her eye with his head. It started bleeding, and nurse Mara was there to save the day. I think she should add that to her character, she is a nurse by day hooker by night, could add a lot to her story line. These guys are pros though. I haven't had a serious accident during the run of a show (knock on wood...knock....knock....knock), and I pray I never do. I always worry about hurting my hands, since I am a piano player that would suck if I ever broke my wrist.

Well we finished our first week in the theatre last night. I have to say it was a little scary the first two nights, but last night I felt we had more energy. Robin came in a spaced us out for a couple of the dance numbers, and she said they looked better. I don't know how I am going to survive this show. I know we have been without A/C at the theatre right now because they are working on it, but when I get a costume on, even with A/C I am going to be dripping with sweat the whole show.

Tomorrow night we do a benefit for a party and we are going to sing a couple of songs. That should be fun. Then we are back in the theatre on Monday for our next full run through the show.

Well the time has come to close.

Phil
Joel

No comments: