Friday, March 5, 2010

All I can say is Wow!

Ok so last night we had our last musical rehearsal where we learned all the songs. After we learned the last song, the Juggernaut, we went through and sang through all the group music in the show. Man this stuff is tough, and I consider myself a pretty decent musician, and can pick up things fairly easily, but this show is challenging me. I should be sitting down at the piano, and plunking out some of these parts, but I just haven't had time. There are a few incidental song, and introductions to other songs, that aren't on the CD that are, well let's just put it this way, Wierd. They sound great when it is all put together, but when you hear your part separately, as Nikki said last night, "What did we get all the left over notes?" I usually don't learn music by listening to the CD, but I have tried to learn some of the songs with the CD. But I have come to realize that some of the chorus parts, in some songs, can't be heard . Like in the song Come with me, there is a section where we sing:
"Come a luma, come a luma, come a luma, come a luma-lee"
Well that isn't heard on the CD at all.....so last night while I was singing through the song in the car on the way home, I thought I was doing it right, and then the next phrase came along and it was that phrase.....so frustrating, but will be amazing when it is all implanted in our brains, and it just comes second nature.
On Sunday we have our next choreography rehearsal. I am not sure that I remember all I did last week. I really have to try to go over that. I remember when I did 42nd Street the first time, I didn't know how to tap dance, so I would write down the steps, and then go home to my parents house and practice in the garage, cause that was the only place I wouldn't screw up the floor. I just need to do that with these steps too, well not exactly go home to my parents and practice in the garage, but just review, review, review....
Next week we start blocking, and I am excited to get into that. Little scared, but excited. I over hear Scott and Alison talking over blocking stuff during the breaks, and I am always amazed at the ideas that are talked about, and then we will start to see those ideas take shape, that is the fun part, and then if something really isn't working we can try to help out.
This show is filled with some great characters. Phil and Oscar, two over the top "brothers" if you get my drift, the lesbian, Madelaine, the hooker, Dolores, and others not to mention the freaky clown, Burrs, and the Vaudville dancer Queenie. It will be neat to see some of these characters come to life.
Well here is to the next phase of these rehearsals. Choreography on Sunday, and a readthrough-singthrough on Tuesday. I haven't really looked at the rest of the script, being the conceited type I looked for my lines and that was about it. There really aren't many lines, LOTS of music. But that is COOL! So after next Tuesday we'll see how much I am still loving this show.
Well phil needs his rest!
Talk to you all later.
Joel "Phil"

No comments: